Massage will be performed either in side-lying or seated with extra support cushion. Studies indicate that massage therapy performed during pregnancy can reduce anxiety, decrease symptoms of depression, relieve muscle aches and joint pains, and improve labour outcomes and newborn health.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage
• Relaxes mother, decreases stress and anxiety and minimises the effects of stress on mother and baby
• Better sleep
• Provides emotional support and nurturing touch.
• Improves mother’s body awareness and increases her ability to tune in to her body during pregnancy, labour and birth
• Stimulates and balances endocrine system; increased prolactin production, enhancing lactation and “mothering instincts”
• Improves lymphatic circulation and reduces non-pathological oedema in hands, legs and feet, relieves headaches and sinus congestion; removal of cellular wastes
• Improves blood flow to all areas leading to improved nutrition, efficient waste removal and reduced fatigue and reduced pressure on bulging veins; improved oxygen perfusion; reduced blood pressure
• Alleviates stress on weight bearing joints
• Reduces strain on muscles and joints of the abdomen, neck, shoulders and lower back and assists in maintaining proper posture
• Maintains flexibility in muscles, ligaments, tendons and fascia
• Reduces muscles spasms and leg cramps due to improved circulation.
• Easier breastfeeding and better milk production due to reduction in tension and muscle tightness
• Reduces discomfort and pain during labour and birth and may ease and shorten the birth process
• Enhances post-natal recovery of muscle tissues, relieves fatigue and facilitates post-partum structural realignment of spine and pelvis.